[Lingtyp] Grammatical diversity of Oceania, suggestions for features?

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Wed Apr 5 07:45:06 UTC 2017

Ian is quite right in pointing out that d/t place-of-articulation
asymmetry is under-reported:  I could offer my own native language
Hebrew as an example of a relatively well-described language in which
such an asymmetry exists but — to the best of my knowledge — has not
been previously described in the literature.

According to the map by Donohue et al (2012) map, most cases of d/t
place-of-articulation asymmetry occur almost exclusively in two large
regions, one encompassing much of equatorial Africa, the second
consisting of the Mekong-
Mamberamo area plus spillover into eastern parts of South Asia, Taiwan, and
Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu.

What's particularly interesting for the history of the Mekong-Mamberamo
area is that d/t place-of-articulation asymmetry, while common in the
Austronesian languages of Indonesia, is (well, so far at least)
unattested in the Philippines.  This suggests a scenario in which the
Austronesian languages spreading south from Taiwan through the
Philippines into the Indonesian archipelago originally didn't have it,
but then picked it up (along with other Mekong-Mamberamo features) from
the now-extinct non-Austronesian languages of the Indonesian archipelago.

David

Donohue, Mark, Rebecca Hetherington & James McElvenny. 2012. World
Phonotactics Database. Canberra: Australian National University. http:
//phonotactics.anu.edu.au.

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de