[Lingtyp] query: declarative 'or' vs. interrogative 'or'

Tianhua Luo tianhualuo at zju.edu.cn
Thu May 25 01:18:46 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Is anybody familiar with languages in which different disjunctions are used in declarative sentences and alternative questions?  I am looking for further languages that employ a distinction between declarative 'or' (either 'or') and interrogative 'or' (whether 'or'). Thanks,Tianhua--In English the same disjunction is used in both declarative sentences and alternative questions.

(1)  English

    a. I will come this afternoon or tomorrow morning.        b. Will you come today or tomorrow?

In Mandarin Chinese (and most other Sinitic languages), huozhe ‘or’ is used in declarative sentences and a different disjunction haishi ‘or’ is used in alternative questions.

(2)  Mandarin Chinese

a.

wo

jintian

xiawu

huozhe

mingtian

shangwu

lai.

1sg

today

afternoon

or

tomorrow

morning

come

‘I will come this afternoon or tomorrow morning.’

b.

ni

jintian

lai