[Lingtyp] wordhood: responses to Haspelmath

Larry M. HYMAN hyman at berkeley.edu
Sat Nov 11 18:53:22 UTC 2017

Can someone please give me a list of all of the structural constituents we
regularly rely on in linguistics which have an automatic and
non-problematic ("valid") cross-linguistic application?
Syllable? morpheme? clitic? word? sentence? They all leak.

I am reminded of the time in 1973 when I submitted two draft chapters to
the publisher for review of what would ultimately become my 1975 phonology
textbook. I'll never forget the opening line from one of the reviewers:

"In a word this book is not for you--or for anyone else for that matter,
for in it the author invokes the syllable and the word, two of the
slipperiest notions in all of
linguistics."

I remember the first two reactions I had to the review:

1. Although generative phonology was centered around the morpheme then (and
denied the syllable, for instance), the morpheme also has its slipperiness.
2. Wow! You can add -est to "slippery"!

I frequently cite this anecdote when teaching the English
comparative/superlative in intro classes.

I'm looking forward to David's paper... although I wonder if the word that
might be defined for the isolating/polysynthetic contrast will work for
everything else we need the word to do.

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 10:38 AM, David Gil <gil at shh.mpg.de> wrote:

> Contrary to Östen (below), I am not quite ready to concede to Martin the
> impossibility of defining a comparative concept of "word" that will enable
> typologists to distinguish between isolating and polysynthetic languages
> (as well as various intermediate types).  I am currently working on a paper
> that will provide such a definition.  An extended abstract of the paper is
> attached here.
>
> David
>

> On 12/11/2017 02:23, Östen Dahl wrote:
>
> OK, we should forget about word boundaries in typology, but should we also
> do so when writing grammars? Could you write a grammar of a stereotypical
> polysynthetic grammar and make it look like an isolating one without using
> procrustean methods?
>
> (Didn’t Skalička have a rather idiosyncratic definition of polysynthesis?)
>
> Östen

Larry M. Hyman, Professor of Linguistics & Executive Director,
France-Berkeley Fund
Department of Linguistics, University of California, Berkeley
President, Linguistic Society of America
http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/people/person_detail.php?person=19

*Support the LSA’s efforts to advance the scientific study of language with
every Amazon Smile
<http://www.linguisticsociety.org/content/lsa-amazon-smile-contribute-today>
purchase
you make throughout the year.*