[Lingtyp] Typological works on echoes

Volker Gast volker.gast at uni-jena.de
Sun Jun 17 10:22:36 UTC 2018

There's a well-known connection between echo questions and wh-elements
remaining in situ:

(1) "You're going WHERE?"

One potentially interesting parameter of variation is the extent to
which this works across clause boundaries. I heard the following
conversation in a movie ('In Bruges'):

(2) Ray: "Do you think this is good?"
(3) Ken: "Do I think WHAT is good?"

meaning

"What x are you enquiring about such that I think that x is good?"

If you extract the wh-pronoun you get

(4) "WHAT do I think is good?"

I wonder if (4) is possible, and if so, if it has the same (echoing)
function as (3).

What is interesting here is the fact that the in situ wh-pronoun in (3)
takes scope over the embedding predicate. This is not possible in
German, as far as I can tell. I wonder if that might be related to the
well-known typological differences concerning long-distance dependencies
discussed by J. Hawkins (1986) (and in subsequent work).

Volker

Am 17.06.2018 um 08:58 schrieb TasakuTsunoda:

> Dear Ian,
>
>     This may not be what you are looking for, but I have found two
> sets of interesting examples in the running texts of Warrongo
> (northeast Australia). Roughly speaking, the examples can be shown as
> follows.
>
> Speaker A:  You(SG) go-IMPERATIVE.
>
> Speaker B:  I go-IMPERATIVE.
>
>     In Speaker B’s sentence, the subject is now ‘I’, not ‘you(SG). The
> verb remains in the imperative form.
>
>     Speaker B’s sentence does not seem to mean ‘Let’s go!’. It seems
> to mean either (a) or (b).
>
> (a) ‘[OK,] I will go.’
>
> (b) ‘Do you mean to say that I should go?’
>
> Please see the following:
>
> Tsunoda, Tasaku. 2011. /A grammar of Warrongo/ (Mouton Grammar Library
> 53). Berlin and New York: De Gruyter Mouton.
>
> P282, (3-266).
>
> P330, (4-30).
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Tasaku Tsunoda
>
> *送信元**: *Lingtyp <lingtyp-bounces at listserv.linguistlist.org> (Joo Ian
> <ian.joo at outlook.com> の代理)
> *日付**: *2018年6月16日土曜日2:41
> *宛先**: *"lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org"
> <lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org>
> *件名**: *[Lingtyp] Typological works on echoes
>
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to know if there are any typological works on echoes,
> where the speaker repeats what they have just heard, such as (1-3).
>
> (1) A: I'm from Germany.
>
> B: Oh, from Germany.
>
> (2) A: It's really a nice day.
>
> B: Yeah, a nice day.
>
> (3) A: Go to the supermarket.
>
> B: To the supermarket, okay.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any reading suggestions.
>
> From Hong Kong,
>
> Ian Joo
>
> http://ianjoo.academia.edu

Prof. Volker Gast