[Lingtyp] Query re anaphoric object pronouns

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Mon Dec 16 14:33:57 UTC 2019

Martin,

Malay/Indonesian and Tagalog are in the Mandarin category: object
pronouns are unbound and optional.

But Hebrew may fall into the English/German category.  So for your
dialog ...

Ken, pagašti ota bamiznon
yes, meet.PST.1SG ACC.3SGF LOC:DEF:cafeteria

Can the object pronoun "ota" be omitted?  To me it sounds bad, albeit
not quite as bad as the corresponding English construction.  Maybe other
speakers of Hebrew can weigh in with their judgements.

(Of course, typologically Hebrew is rather European ...)

David

PS I note with interest that your proposed universal implication seems
to require recourse to a comparative category of word ...