[Lingtyp] Query re anaphoric object pronouns

Chao Li chao.li at aya.yale.edu
Mon Dec 16 21:29:02 UTC 2019

Dear Alex and Martin,

I agree with Alex, Eitan, and Volker that animacy is an important factor
when all the contexts of object-drop are examined. At the same time, I
would like to add that, with respect to Mandarin, animate objects may also
be naturally dropped, and this is particularly true of conversational
contexts, as shown in (1-2).

(1)  A:  你喜欢他(/她)吗?

             Nǐ    xǐhuan   tā (/tā)         ma?

              you  like        him(/her)     Question.Particle

             ‘Do you like him(/her)?'
       B:  当然喜欢啦。
             Dāngrán     xǐhuan   la.
             of.course    like        Sentence.Final.Particle
             '(I) of course like (him/her).'

(2) A: (holding a picture)
          你见过这个人吗?
          Nǐ      jiàn-guo                zhè-gè              rén
ma?
          you   see-Experiential    this-Classifier   person
Question.Particle
          'Did you see this person before?'
    B:  我没见过。
          Wǒ   méi    jiàn-guo.