[Lingtyp] What's the point of the phonological phrase?

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 16:02:40 UTC 2019

Dear Adam,

My first reaction to your message was to agree with what you wrote at the
end, that “the phonological phrase” is simply “some morphophonological ...
domain ... higher than ... phonological word”].

Phonology is often usefully described with different tiers of structure,
from the phone to the syllable to the word to the phrase to the utterance.
(I wouldn't rule out having multiple levels within some of those, e.g.
successively larger "phonological phrases".) The only problem seems to be
operating from the assumption that syntactic and phonological phrases
should line up. If we do not assume that, both are useful in their own
ways, and then a secondary but very interesting question is whether and how
we can relate those two structural types.

Daniel