[Lingtyp] Resources on glossing choices

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 16:26:31 UTC 2019

A quick addition: please do include clear examples of the range of forms
when discussing labels/function. This is less often a problem with current
grammars, but sometimes it can still be hard to be certain exactly which
morpheme(s) correspond to the explanation, and especially complicated in
cases of allomorphy. Sometimes this seems to be spread over three chapters:
a discussion of allomorphy under Phonology, a discussion of function under
Morphology, and examples in usage under Syntax. The result is that a
careful reader must cross-reference the forms found in examples in Syntax
with the allomorphy in Phonology to link up functions in Morphology, which
is hard to do with confidence!