[Lingtyp] complex postpositions

Seino van Breugel seinobreugel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 10:02:22 UTC 2019

Dear Nigel,

Atong, a Tibeto-Burman language of Northeast India, has a small set of
postpositions, which could be called complex in the sense that they have to
be preceded by one or more enclitics, e.g. the genitive or a combination of
locative and goal (see Chapter 13 of: van Breugel, Seino. 2014. *A grammar
of Atong*. Leiden, Boston: Brill).

As for the origin of the postpositions:
*kənsaŋ* <   *kən=saŋ  *   (back (the body part)=mobilitative/locative)
*dabat* < *da+bat* (prohibitive+to.cross)
*thəlʔ *also exists as a verb meaning 'to.go.very.far'
*gəmən* < ?
*dakaŋ* < ?

Best,

Seino