[Lingtyp] the King of England’s daughter

bingfu Lu lubingfu at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 23:15:03 UTC 2019

Dear Martin,

Thanks for you reply and very helpful web dlc.hypotheses.org.

Why not just treat possessive –’s as a welded postposition?

Yes, this is possible – I don't know any serious arguments against it.
【the problem is many adpositions can attach to constructions of different levels. Chinese 'de' can attach both NP, VP and clause. It is not a big problem since clauses are also kind of phrase. More problematic is Japanese 'no', it can attach to a determiner, a numeral (both normally treated as words), and an NP, but not a VP/clause.  In the literature, Japanese 'no' is conventionally taken as a postposition. Any suggestion?  I would like to give 'de' and 'no' a functional term 'modification marker'. Such kind markers are widespread in Asian languages.】
BestBingfu

My proposal is to distinguish word-attached affixes, phrase-attached adpositions and clause/sentence-attached particles.

Yes, this is what people often do, but it's usually very difficult to say whether something attaches to a word or to a phrase – semantically, even tense suffixes attach to the whole clauuse, but we still treat them as affixes.

It seems all the three functional forms are much more welded when they follow their host than their counterparts which precede. Compare English possessive markers of and –’s.

Yes – this relates to the "suffixing preference" (https://dlc.hypotheses.org/782). But note that "welded", as I defined it, is not a gradable concept.

BTW, I agree with you on the term ‘welded’ replacing the awkward and vague ‘prosodically bounded’.

For whatever reason, I cannot send my email to lingtyp group. So I have to send my mail directly to you.

Your message of 25 January did go to LINGTYP (see http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/lingtyp/2019-January/006953.html).

But I replied to you separately, because it seemed a minor point.

Best wishes,
Martin