[Lingtyp] addressing the daughter as Mummy

Oleg Belyaev belyaev at ossetic-studies.org
Thu Aug 20 19:27:56 UTC 2020

Dear Sergey,

Dargwa languages (and probably some other Daghestanian languages) have a
similar phenomenon, but with a nuance: the self-reference is in the
genitive, thus the address is "mother's" (probably implying "mother's
beloved" or something similar) rather than "mother". This works with all
kinds of kinship terms and even wider (e.g. an older non-relative is
typically referred to as uncle/aunt, and consequently, s/he may address
the kid as "uncle's"/"aunt's").

As a pure speculation (I haven't looked at the literature on the topic),
such constructions might be the origin of at least some of these types
of inversion.

Best,

Oleg