[Lingtyp] Consonant v. Vowel correspondences in loanwords

Hartmut Haberland hartmut at ruc.dk
Thu Feb 6 21:24:43 UTC 2020

Dear Ian
As to the Japanese example, one has to consider that while Japanese vowels do not have obvious allophonic variants (maybe except for unvoiced i̥ and ɯ̥), consonants have a number of allophonic variants depending on the following vowel:
/h/ {xa, çi, ɸɯ, he, ho}
/t/ {ta, tɕi, tsɯ, te, to}
/s/ {sa, ɕi, sɯ, se, so}
Some phoneme combination do not exist, like ɕa, ɕi, tɕɯ, ɕo but not ɕe.
Already Bloch stated in 1950 that the adaption of English loans (unlike the earlier, at that time much more massive of Dutch and German ones, cf. ko:çi: < Dutch koffie) led to new phonemes like /ɸ/ or /​d̠͡ʑ/ (like in firumu ‘film’ and jetto ‘jet’) which earlier only had been allophonic variants before certain vowels  (Bernard Bloch 1950. Studies in colloquial Japanese. Part 4: Phonemics. Language 26: 86-125).
Still, Japanese does not distinguish v and b or r and l, which means that the loan raba: can both mean ‘lover’ and ‘rubber’.
German has several phonemes that only occur in loans:
/x/: [x] is otherwise only is an allophone of /x/ after back vowels but appears word-initially in words like Junta and place names like Jerez.
Both /​ʒ/ and /d​ʒ/ occur only in loans from French (Genie) and English (Dschungel), resp., but as voiced counterparts of /​ʃ/ and /t​ʃ/ there is a place for them ‘prepared’ in the system.
German has adapted nasal vowels from French in loans but many speakers tend to replace them with Vŋ (in the case of a͂, ε͂ and ɔ͂: aŋ, εŋ and ɔŋ in Chance, Bassin, Balkon) or V:m (in the case of œ͂: y:m as in Parfum).
Hartmut