[Lingtyp] What's the point of the phonological phrase? (and some questions about p-linguistics)

William Croft wcroft at unm.edu
Thu Jan 9 16:06:12 UTC 2020

Most of us seem to agree that a language should be “described in its own terms”, and that a description of a language should “motivated by a language itself”, to use Martin’s phrase. And that that means not imposing on a language categories like those from generative grammar discussed in this thread.

But what does it mean to describe a language “in its own terms”? This brings up a range of theoretical issues apart from what set of grammatical categories should be used in its description.

First, should one use even language-specific categories for grammatical description? This presupposes a building-block model of language, where complex constructions are built out of lexical or morphological categories. Categories are defined distributionally, that is, by distribution of words or morphemes in larger constructions. But detailed distributional analysis shows that word/morpheme classes are not just language-specific but construction-specific. In this view, one shouldn’t impose the  building-block model of grammar on a language.

Second, what is it that we are describing when we are describing “a language”? Linguists are trained to find patterns or generalizations in linguistic data, either naturalistic or elicited (or both). We seek the “right” generalization, and our analyses are not supposed to “miss” a generalization. But another view is that one should describe a speaker’s knowledge about their language. Psycholinguistic research shows that not every speaker has the same knowledge about their language. So the generalizations found by a trained linguist may be an imposition on a language description in terms of speakers’ knowledge.

Another view is that “a language” is the product of the collective behavior of a speech community. Sociolinguistic research and research into sound production and verbalization shows that grammatical expression is highly variable and probabilistically conditioned on a wide range of factors. In this view, “a language” as a single set of rules or generalizations, even for a single speaker, is an imposition on language description.

“Describe a language in its own terms” doesn’t give much guidance for language description. In my opinion, a radical-constructional, usage-based analysis that also recognizes inter-individual variation in linguistic knowledge and community-level variation makes the fewest impositions on language description. This is of course a theoretical position, though one that I believe has strong empirical support.

Bill