[Lingtyp] Ironic negative constructions

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Sat Jan 25 11:02:46 UTC 2020

Dear all,

Mark Post mentions the English /bad/ used to mean 'good'. This brings to
mind a pet project that I've been collecting data on for several years,
which I refer to as "antonymic nicknames". This is when you call
somebody very thin /fatso/, somebody very stupid /professor/, etc. — a
usage clearly rooted in irony.  Australian English seems to be the
epicenter of the phenomenon; for example, /bluey/ has been
conventionalized as a way of calling people with red hair.  But
antonymic nicknames are common throughout the world, albeit not universal.

In the attached map (work in progress!), red dots represent languages in
which antonymic nicknames are solidly attested, while grey dots are for
languages in which (a) I lack attestations for antonymic nicknames, and,
crucially also (b) sources insist that they would never occur in their
language — in the most extreme case, such speakers simply "don't get the
joke".

David

--
David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-556825895
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091