[Lingtyp] coronavirus and Zipf

LIU Danqing liudanq at yahoo.com
Sat May 2 16:18:32 UTC 2020

 Dear Natalia, Jeremy and all:

  Thank Natalia for initiating this discussion, and thank Jeremy for mentioning my article. My article was written in  Chinese published in a WeChat account on January 28, rather early, which was read by nearly twenty thousand people in two days. I mentioned Zipf's correlation between frequency and word/expression length in my article. And in fact I informally mentioned this possible shorter term in a WeChat group with my students even earlier, namely on January 11. This term was formally adopted by the public health administration on February 9. Now, this shorter term has become the most common term for this disease. In some cases, a even shorter term is used, namely Xinguan (novel crown), which was also proposed in my article.

By the way,Unfortunately, in Sichuan province, there is a famous brand for moon cake and other Chinese cookies called Xinguan (with the same characters). That will be a big problem for this large food company.
  Danqing