[Lingtyp] corona, crown and languages

LIU Danqing liudanq at yahoo.com
Wed May 6 14:57:12 UTC 2020

 Dear Claude:
  Thank you for your comments. I would like to add something more on the Chinese morpheme 冠Guan55.
  Although I roughly translated guan1 as crown, in fact, as Jeremy pointed out more accurately, guan55 as a word in classic Chinese only means hat, cap. Everybody can wear a guan55 in classic China. The verb guan51 just means to put on a hat instead of crowning. A complete Chinese translation of crown/corona should be wang35guan55 王冠(lit. King's hat) or huang35guan55 皇冠 (lit. emperor's hat).   We have another classic word mian214冕, wich is closer to crown, meaning hat for nobles and kings. So we use jia55mian214 加冕 (lit. to add crown on) to denote crowning. We translate crown or corona in western terms into Chinese guan55 just because Chinese disfavors lengthy words and guan55 is more familiar to modern Chinese speaker than mian214.
  By the way, a crown eagle (Harpyhaliaetus coronatus)is called mian214ying55 冕雕 in Zoology。
Best,
Danqing