[Lingtyp] Query: syllable-reversing ludlings

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Mon May 18 10:00:19 UTC 2020

Dear Eric,

Thanks, this is very useful, albeit in a negative kind of way, as it
appears to refute my original hunch: whereas Zenzontepec Chatino
exhibits the (b) 123 > 231 pattern of Papuan Malay, its final syllable
prominence resembles that of Riau Indonesian which exhibits the (a) 123
 > 312 pattern.  Thereby suggesting that there's no obvious correlation
between the choice between (a) and (b) patterns on the one hand, and the
languages' stress patterns on the other.

But I'd still really appreciate more data from other languages, to see
if any other correlation emerges, or whether the choice between (a) and
(b) patterns is just random.

Best,

David

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de