[Lingtyp] (no subject)

Eric Campbell ecampbell at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Fri May 29 22:31:30 UTC 2020

Dear Sergey,

If compounds typically instantiate these units (which looks like the case
in 'wife+another'), then one alternative is to use a "+" between the
components. This is especially useful when this type of juncture displays
different prosodic behavior than affix-stem and host=clitic junctures. The
Leipzig Glossing Rules are agnostic on this, but Lehmann (2004) mentions it.

Best,

Eric

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 12:47 PM Marianne Mithun <
mithun at linguistics.ucsb.edu> wrote:

> That is indeed problematic, because the = is standardly used for clitics.
>
> Marianne
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 8:22 AM Sergey Loesov <sergeloesov at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> In the transcription of Turoyo, prosodic units (which we call
>> Akzentkomposita) are indicated by joining the constituent members with an
>> equal sign (=).
>> E.g.:
>>
>> B-u=Fǝrmān                   kə́t-way-l-e                  l-bab-i
>>                pire=ḥre-to.
>>
>>             loc-art.s.m=firman   exist-pst-pos-3s.m
>> for-father-1s              wife=another-f
>>

>>  Is there a more standard crosslinguistic way to indicate such units?
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Sergey

*Eric W. Campbell*

Assistant Professor of Linguistics
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Linguistics
Faculty in Residence, San Joaquin and Sierra Madre Villages
Academic Council, American Indian and Indigenous Collective

Department of Linguistics
South Hall 3432
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-3100