[Lingtyp] [Ext] "na/nan" in Turkish

Geoffrey Haig geoffrey.haig at uni-bamberg.de
Thu Oct 22 16:39:14 UTC 2020

Dear Raheleh,

the form you mention is typical for Turkic varieties spoken in Iran, and
also in dialects spoken in East Anatolia; Bulut (2018: 418) writes:

"Across the region the instrumental case is {+(I)nAn}, ..."

She treats it as a case suffix, though I think it could equally
plausibly be considered a postposition. It is certainly an original
Turkic form, rather than any kind of borrowing (in  case you were
wondering). The use of this form as opposed to the functionally
equivalent Standard Turkish =Ile 'with (instrument and comitative)' is a
major isogloss distinguishing the Iran and East Anatolian varieties from
Standard Turkish.

Bulut, Christiane. 2018. The Turkic varieties of Iran. In: Haig,
Geoffrey and Geoffrey Khan (eds.) The languages and linguistics of
Western Asia. An areal perspective, 398-444. Berlin: De Gruyter.

I can send you a pdf of the above paper in an additional message,

best

Geoff

Am 22.10.2020 um 01:48 schrieb Raheleh Izadi Far:
> Dear Lyngtyp members,
>
> Does anybody here have any information about the word "na, nan" in
> Turkish? I'd be grateful to know about the meaning, functions, and
> origin of the postposition/suffix "na/nan" in Turkish language of
> Turkey or Iran, or other places.
> An example of its use in Iranian Turkish is "man ahmadi nangediram" (I
> go with Ahmad."
>
> All the best,
> Raheleh Izadifar
> PhD in general linguistics, Iran