[Lingtyp] Apostrophe highlighting morphological information

Seino van Breugel seinobreugel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 08:25:08 UTC 2020

Dear Jeff,

In Atong and Standard Garo orthography, both Tibeto-Burman languages spoken
in Northeast India and Bangladesh, the apostrophe indicates glottalisation
of the preceding syllable. As an example of how this works in Atong, here
are some minimal or near minimal pairs of words with and without
glottalisation (adapted from: van Breugel, Seino. Forthcoming. *A
dictionary of Atong: A Tibeto-Burman language of Northeast India and
Bangladesh*. de Gruyter Mouton.

Plain

Glottalised

*si-*