[Lingtyp] Viewpoint and perspective

John Du Bois dubois at ucsb.edu
Tue Apr 6 11:15:53 UTC 2021

An important perspective on viewpoint in literature is Wally Chafe's magnum
opus:
*Discourse, Consciousness, and Time: The flow and displacement of conscious
experience in speaking and writing.*
https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/D/bo3631492.html
For Chafe's analysis of viewpoint in literature, see especially Chapters
17-20. But of course, the entire treatment of viewpoint in all of language
is what sets this book apart.
Best,
John