[Lingtyp] spatial deictic markers on 1st person verbs

Takahiro Morita morita.takahiro.8r at kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Aug 4 15:02:14 UTC 2021

Dear Sergey,

Maybe the following reference is useful for you.

Matsumoto, Y., Akita, K., & Takahashi, K. 2017. The functional nature of deictic verbs and the coding patterns of Deixis: An experimental study in English, Japanese, and Thai. In I. Ibarretxe-Antuñano (Ed.), Motion and space across languages (95–122). Amsterdam & Philadelphia: John Benjamins.

I think that the speaker’s “here” space is elastic enough to false our belief (verbs of coming express a motion “spatially” toward the speaker) depending on the relationship between the speaker and a mover. This paper provides us with an empirical proof that this relationship is spatially or psychologically constructed, and it can be variable depending on languages.

Takahiro Morita, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Graduate School of Human and Environmental Studies, Kyoto University
Yoshidanihonmatsucho, Sakyo-ku
Kyoto, 606-8501
morita.takahiro.8r at kyoto-u.ac.jp