[Lingtyp] Discourse connectives that do not occur at clause edges

Ponrawee Prasertsom ponrawee.pra at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 06:00:00 UTC 2021

Dear all,

Does anyone know of language(s) with a discourse connective (roughly
defined as any word that relates two event arguments expressed as clauses)
that

1. Has a dedicated (fixed) position in the clause
2. Does NOT occur clause-initial or -finally

The example I have in mind is Thai /kɔ̂ɔ/ and Lao /kaø/, which always occur
after the subject. I'm also wondering how much this is specific to
Southwestern Tai (or Kra-Dai more generally).

I appreciate every help. Thank you all in advance.

Best regards,

--
Ponrawee Prasertsom

Graduate student
Department of Linguistics
Chulalongkorn University
--
Ponrawee Prasertsom

Postgraduate student
MSc Evolution of Language and Cognition
Centre for Language Evolution
School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences
University of Edinburgh