[Lingtyp] “at last” and “only now”

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Wed Feb 24 11:02:46 UTC 2021

Dear all,

Sergey's query, and especially Alex's recent response on Vanuatu
languages, have given me new insights into the Indonesian word /dulu/,
which I now realize also belongs to the same general category of
"phrasal/focal particles".  While the "literal meaning of /dulu/ is
something like "first", it is used in a  wider range of contexts than,
say, English /first. / The first example shows /dulu/ in a narrative
past context:

(1) Dia makan dulu baru pulang
     3 eat DULU new go.home
     'He/she/they ate and then went home'

The next example shows /dulu/ in its very common use as a polite
imperative or hortative:

(2) Makan dulu
     eat DULU
     'Please eat' / 'Let's eat'

In both cases, /dulu/ combines a temporal/aspectual with a focus
meaning. However, whereas Alex's Vanuatu examples involved restrictive
focus (X but not Y), Indonesian /dulu/ involves additive focus (X and
also/then Y).  Thus, in both examples, /dulu/ bears the implication that
after eating, some other, unspecified activity will occur.  While in (1)
the further activity is overtly expressed, in (2) it is merely implied,
which has the effect of softening the imperative/hortative meaning and
thereby rendering it more polite.

David

On 23/02/2021 20:20, Sergey Loesov wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> Are you aware of cross-language or /einzelsprachlich/studies of the
> semantics/pragmatics of particles like “*at last*” “*only now*”, and
> similar. I.e., ‘particles’ that combine phasal and focus semantics.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Sergey

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091