[Lingtyp] Attributive temporal clauses without temporal nouns

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Sun Feb 28 10:52:00 UTC 2021

Dear Jesús,

Many varieties of colloquial Indonesian have an even simpler option,
whereby in (the loose equivalent of) "You came, I saw you", "You came"
can be interpreted as denoting a specific time. Gil (1994) examples (9)
and (10) illustrate this for the Riau dialect of Indonesian; here is
example (9):

Kita datang taksi pun datang
1.PL.INCL arrive taxi FOC arrive
[in the given context:] 'When we get there, a taxi will also get there'

Of course, while characterizing such constructions as temporal adverbial
clauses is fine from an "etic", or "comparative-concept" point of view,
doing so does violence to the way the actual language is structured, in
which, from an "emic" or "language-specific" perspective, the two
clauses stand in a weaker, underspecified relationship of association
("You came, I saw you, and these two activities are connected in some way").

On the face of things, this is a bit like Juergen's Yucatec Maya
example, except that here there is no morphological marking of any kind
(such as nominalization, TAM, etc.).

David

On 25/02/2021 06:17, Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I hope this email finds you well.
>
> I am currently writing my dissertation on temporal adverbial clauses
> in the languages of the world.
>
> As you know, many languages express temporal adverbial relations (e.g.
> /when/-relations, /while/-relations) by means of constructions that
> appear with temporal nouns (e.g. 'time' 'day', 'year'; e.g. 'the time
> they arrived, they sat down'; Thompson et al 2007; Hetterle 2015;
> Diessel 2019; Olguín Martínez 2020).
>
> As discussed by Diessel (2019: 106), in some languages the temporal
> noun can be omitted resulting in constructions such as the following:
>
> 1.  At (the time) you came, I saw you.
> 2. (the time) that you came, I saw you.
>
> In the sample of my dissertation, I came across 56 languages not
> genetically related that seem to use this type of construction, as a
> primary strategy, to express various semantic types of adverbial
> clauses. The most common patterns I have found in the sample are the
> following:
>
> 3. LOCATIVE (temporal noun) RELATIVIZER/RELATIVE PRONOUN.
> 4. LOCATIVE (temporal noun).
> 5. (temporal noun) RELATIVIZER/RELATIVE PRONOUN.
> 6. DEMONSTRATIVE (temporal noun).
>
> Are you aware of any studies that have addressed this phenomenon? Are
> you aware of any languages that express temporal adverbial relations
> by means of this type of construction?
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Best regards,
>

> --
> Jesús Olguín Martínez
> Ph.D. Candidate, Dept. of Linguistics
> /University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)/
> http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/people/jesús-olguín-martínez
> <http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/people/jes%C3%BAs-olgu%C3%ADn-mart%C3%ADnez>
>
> References
> Diessel, Holger. 2019. Preposed adverbial clauses: Functional
> adaptation and diachronic inheritance. In Karsten Schmidtke-Bode,
> Natalia Levshina, Susanne Maria Michaelis, & Ilja Seržant (eds.),
> /Explanation in linguistic typology: Diachronic sources, functional
> motivations and the nature of the evidence/, 97-122. Leipzig: Language
> Science Press.
> Hetterle Katja. 2015. /Adverbial clauses in cross-linguistic
> perspective. /Berlin/Boston: De Gruyter Mouton.
> Olguín Martínez, Jesús. 2020. Attributive temporal clauses in
> cross-linguistic perspective. /Te Reo/. /The Journal of
> the//Linguistic Society of New Zealand /63/: /1-36.
> Thompson, Sandra, Robert Longacre, &Shin Hwang. 2007. Adverbial
> clauses. In Timothy Shopen, (ed.), /Language typology and syntactic
> description/ /volume II: Complex constructions/,237- 300. Cambridge:
> Cambridge University Press.

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091