[Lingtyp] Before-constructions

Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez olguinmartinez at ucsb.edu
Mon Jul 19 00:40:46 UTC 2021

I should probably mention the following aspect.

Consider the following constructions taken from Cristofaro (2003: 62):

(1) a. Mozart died [before finishing his Requiem Mass]
b. Mahler composed his early symphonies [before returning to Vienna in 1897]
c. [Before going back to my book], I have to turn in this paper

In (1a) the dependent situation (finishing the Requiem Mass) never takes
place, while in (1b) the dependent situation (returning to Vienna) actually
takes place after
the main one. Finally, (1c) does not exclude the possibility that the
dependent situation (going back to the book) may take place at some point
in time (Cristofaro 2003: 62)

English only has one clause-linking device to express the situations
described above. However, other languages have specialized clause-linking
devices that distinguish the situations shown in (1a-c).

I hope this makes sense.

Best,