[Lingtyp] Double-marked passive

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Mon Mar 22 21:15:59 UTC 2021

Martin,

Your suggestion that Papuan Malay /dapa/ and Riau Indonesian /kena/ are
prefixes surprises me for two independent reasons, principled and
language-specific: (a) on principled grounds because I know you don't
attach much weight to the distinction between affixes and other "larger"
elements, and (b) on language-specific grounds because /dapa/ and /kena/
behave like complete and separate words rather than affixes with respect
to just about any language-specific criterion you can think of: they are
disyllabic, they exhibit an array of phonological properties associated
with a complete phonological foot, they can occur in isolation as
complete non-elliptical sentences, they are content words associated
with particular meanings, roughly 'get' and 'undergo' respectively, and
so forth. Calling them affixes makes no sense either emically, in terms
of language-specific analyses, or etically, in terms of comparative
concepts.

David