[Lingtyp] Morphologically complex clitics?

Larry M. HYMAN hyman at berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 31 03:56:29 UTC 2021

Hi Florian,

I was expecting lots of offers over the past 16 hours, but none! In Bantu
this is quite usual because clitics often combine noun class agreement with
whatever the marker is--often fused. E.g. in Luganda the locative enclitic
=kô 'on it, a little' consists of class 17 ku- and -o. The "connective"
(associative, genitive) prefixes the noun class agreement to /-a/ (ebitabo
byaa=Walúsimbi  'Walusimbi's books', from class 8 /bi-a/), and so forth.
Several of the possessive pronoun enclitics are bisyllabic, e.g. class 8
byange = /bi-a-nge/ 'my', as in e-bi-déé =by-a-nge  'my cups' (where the
enclitic saves the length of the root -déé 'bell(s)' from undergoing final
vowel shortening.

There are lots of such examples in the following paper:

Hyman, Larry M. & Francis X. Katamba. 1990. Final vowel shortening in
Luganda. *Studies in African Linguistics *21.1-59, available here:

https://journals.flvc.org/sal/article/view/107438/102758

Best, Larry

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 4:36 AM <florian.matter at isw.unibe.ch> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am looking for examples of morphologically complex clitics — i.e.,
> g-words that a) do not form their own p-words and b) consist of multiple
> morphemes. Below are some of the few examples I have found. In (1-2), it is
> an encliticized copula which carries person inflection. In (3), the verb
> complex consists of a finite verb, a converb, and an auxiliary, each their
> own g-word. Both the finite verb and the auxiliary are inflected for first
> person and therefore morphologically complex.
>
> (1) Trió (Cariban)
>     əmamina-nə=pəə*=w-a-e*
>     play-INF=occ.with=1Sa-be-NPST.CERT
>     'I am playing' (Meira 1999: 180)
>
> (2) Ecuadorian Quechua
>     paj  mana wasi-bi=t͡ʃu*=ga-n*
>     3PRO NEG  house-LOC=NEG=be-3
>     'S/he is not at home.' (Muysken 2010: 197)
>
> (3) Nangikurrunggurr (Southern Daly)
>     jawul karicinmade *ŋebem=*wuɹic*=ŋiɹim*                catma
>     spear bent        1SG.S.bash.PRS=fix=1SG.S.sit.PRS straight
>     'I'm sitting straightening this bent spear.' (Reid 2003: 114)
>
> I am grateful for any further examples of such patterns, or references to
> literature on morphologically complex clitics.
>
> Best,
> Florian
>
> _____________________________
>
> Universität Bern
>
> Institut für Sprachwissenschaft
>
> Florian Matter
>

> Länggassstrasse 49
>
> CH-3012 Bern
>
> Tel. +41 31 631 37 54
>
> Raum B 168
>
> *florian.matter at isw.unibe.ch <florian.matter at isw.unibe.ch>*
>
> *http://www.isw.unibe.ch <http://www.isw.unibe.ch/>*

Larry M. Hyman, Professor of Linguistics & Executive Director,
France-Berkeley Fund
Department of Linguistics, University of California, Berkeley
https://linguistics.berkeley.edu/~hyman