[Lingtyp] Fwd: Uncertainty over the use of the term "vocativ e" in this instance

Thomas Diaz tsdiaz at buffalo.edu
Tue May 11 16:54:21 UTC 2021

Hello all,

First, thank you for all of your helpful comments and interest. I realize
that I probably under-described the phenomenon for fear of creating an
overly-long email and/or focusing on the aspects that the group may have
found irrelevant. I apologize ahead of time if I happen to do either of
those two things now.

Given the discussion, I believe that the clitic *=o* should be glossed as
either 'addressive' or 'exclamative'. I will provide a slightly fuller
picture of the language for any that may be interested.

There are two broad categories of clitics in Heyo: (i) subject pronominal
clitics, and (ii) phrase-final clitics. The subject pronominal clitics are
irrelevant to the discussion, so I won't talk about them any further. The
phrase-final clitics, as their name implies, occur at the end of whatever
phrase is relevant to their particular function. Within the phrase-final
clitics is the category of utterance-final clitics, of which the addressive
clitic *=o* is one.

Turning to phrase-final clitics in general, there are (formally speaking)
four different ones: *=i, =e, =o, *and *=u*. Somewhat interestingly, these
represent four of the five vowel phonemes of Heyo, with there being no
clitic **=a*. I provide a basic description of each of their functions
below. If the clitic in that function obligatorily occurs in
utterance-final position (i.e. is an utterance-final clitic), it appears in
bold.

*=i *-- (i) topic marker, (ii) attaches to 'when'/'if' subordinate
clauses, *(iii)
indicates scope of negation in certain clausal negation
constructions*, and *(iv)
indicates polar questions*
*=e* -- (i) contrastive topic marker, (ii) copula clitic attaching to third
person subjects (Heyo is SOV), (iii) attaches to verbs of speaking to
indicate following quoted speech, and *(iv) indicates positive imperatives*
*=o *-- *(i) the addressive form we're discussing*
*=u* -- *(i) indicates content questions*

In looking at those functions that occur in bold, each utterance-final form
indicates an illocutionary function. In my description I separate out many
of the functions in terms of where they are discussed in the grammar as
well as how I gloss them, despite many of them having the same form. I do
believe many, if not all, of the formally-identical clitics can be unified
into broader, more abstract grammatical categories. But I distinguish many
of them for purely descriptive reasons.

As some people were interested in the phonetic form of the addressive
clitic *=o*, I have attached a quickly-made spectrogram below along with
the pitch contour. In all instances of the clitic that I have seen, the
vowel is lengthened compared to other vowels in the utterance, and the
pitch contour is the same. In this particular instance of *boi=o* `hey
boy!' I measured the [oi] as being 166ms and the [o] as 222ms. This seems
like a significant distinction in time, but I am not particularly
well-versed in phonetic studies, I am afraid to admit.

There are other potentially interesting aspects of the addressive clitic,
such as how it has become somewhat morphologized with certain pronominal
stems. But I do not want to make this email overly-long. I am happy to
discuss things further if there is interest or some point needs to be
clarified. Once again, I thank you all for your comments, and I hope this
email finds you well.

Respectfully,

Thomas S. Diaz (He/Him)
PhD Candidate