[Lingtyp] Grammaticalization of 1SG verb forms

Kofi Yakpo kofi at hku.hk
Fri Nov 12 07:21:16 UTC 2021

Dear Aigul,

I could think of Krio (Sierra Leone) and some other African-Caribbean
English-lexifier Creoles where *lɛ́* (with a high tone), a fossilized form
of English *let's* is used as a deontic/subjunctive mood complementizer in
insubordinate main clauses throughout the person paradigm as well as in
subordinate clauses of deontic main verbs:

Insubordination:
1. lɛ́ à gó náw [deon 1sg.sbj go now] 'I should go now'
2. lɛ́ è gó náw [ deon 3sg.sbj go now] 'S/he should go now'
3. lɛ́ wì gó náw [deon 1pl.sbj go now] 'Let's go now'
4. lɛ́ dɛ̀n gó náw [deon 3pl.sbj go now] 'Let them go now'

Subordination:
5. à tɛ́l àm sé lɛ́ è gó [1sg.sbj tell quot 3sg.obj deon 3sg.sbj go]
'I told him/her to go'
6. à wɔ́nt lɛ́ è gó [1sg.sbj want deon 3sg.sbj go] 'I want him/her to go'
etc.

Best,
Kofi
————
Dr Kofi Yakpo • Associate Professor
Chair of Linguistics <http://www.linguistics.hku.hk/> • University of Hong
Kong <http://arts.hku.hk/>
My publications @ zenodo
<https://zenodo.org/search?page=1&size=20&q=yakpo&sort=-publication_date> •
 My Page <http://hub.hku.hk/cris/rp/rp01715>

Just published:
Creole prosodic systems are areal, not simple
<https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2021.690593>
Social entrenchment influences the amount of areal borrowing
<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/13670069211019126>
Unidirectional multilingual convergence
<https://doi.org/10.1177/13670069211019126>
Two types of language contact involving English Creoles
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/english-today/article/abs/two-types-of-language-contact-involving-english-creoles/DD2FC19B55E041440F3BFC5235234968>