[Lingtyp] Folk definition of “word”

Nikolaus P Himmelmann n.himmelmann at uni-koeln.de
Fri Nov 26 10:11:09 UTC 2021

Hi

On 26/11/2021 10:17, JOO, Ian [Student] wrote:

> The question would be, when one asks a speaker of a given language to
> divide a sentence into words, would the number of words be consistent
> throughout different speakers?
> It would be an interesting experiment. I’d be happy to be informed of
> any previous study who conducted such an experiment.

Yes, indeed. And it is an experiment, though largely uncontrolled, that
is carried out whenever someone carries out fieldwork on an undocumented
lect. In this context, speakers provide evidence for word units in two
ways: a) in elicitation when prompted by pointing or with a word from a
contact language; b) when chunking a recording into chunks that can be
written down by the researcher.

In my experience, speakers across a given community are pretty
consistent in both activities though one may distinguish two basic types
speakers. One group provides word-like units, so when you ask for
"stone" you get a minimal form for stone. The other primarily provides
utterance-like units. So you do not get "stone" but rather "look at this
stone", "how big the stone is", "stones for building ovens" or the like.

Depending on the language, there is some variation in the units provided
in both activities but this is typically restricted to the kind of
phenomena that later on cause the main problems in the analytical
reconstruction of a word unit, i.e. mostly phenomena that come under the
broad term of "clitics". In my view, one should clearly distinguish
between these analytical reconstructions, which are basic building
blocks of grammatial descriptions, and the "natural" units provided by
speakers, which are primary data providing the basis for the description.

Best

Nikolaus