[Lingtyp] Intensification and causation

Pier Marco Bertinetto piermarco.bertinetto at sns.it
Sat Oct 16 10:11:59 UTC 2021

The same change is occurring in Italian.
'Troppo' has the same negative overtone as Fr. 'trop', but for young people
it is also a frequently used intensifiers.
The transition is easy to analyze: 'troppo bello' =
'exceedingly/overwhelmingly beautiful' --> 'very beautiful'.
Best
Pier Marco

Il giorno sab 16 ott 2021 alle ore 11:56 Jesse P. Gates <stauskad at gmail.com>
ha scritto:

> Dear Jeremy,
>
> Could you tell us the precise Chinese dialect that this construction
> occurs in? In many other Chinese dialects 'Adj.-de-hen' is simply an
> intensification construction, so it is interesting how this dialect that
> you speak of has constrained the meaning so specifically to a cause to
> negative effect meaning.
>
> Languages often have a choice between a negative intensifier and a
> positive one.
>
> I think in English 'too' often has negative overtones to it, but not
> always.
>
> In French, 'trop' is a negative intensifier and 'tres' is a positive one.
> But I have heard that this is changing a bit and young people on the
> streets use trop for some positive senses.
>
> When I first started studying Chinese it took me a while to understand
> that 太 did not intensify in a negative way, necessarily. For example, if I
> say in English, 'he's too fast', that usually means something negative
> (like I can't catch him or beat him in a race), it usually doesn't mean 'he
> is very fast' in a neutral way or 'he's so fast' in a positive way. But in
> Mandarin 他太快了 can be used for the meaning 'he is very fast', it can be used
> to get a neutral, or negative, or positive meaning.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>

> *Jesse P. Gates, PhD*Nankai University, School of Literature 南开大学文学院
> https://nankai.academia.edu/JesseGates
>

> On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 2:55 PM tangzhengda <tangzhengda at 126.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear colleagues,
>>
>> In a certain NW Chinese dialect the adjective phrase of '*Adj.-de-hen*'
>> (roughly taken to mean '*very Adj*.') can only be used *on condition
>> that* it take the role of a CAUSE, or a 'causing state', by which a
>> NEGATIVE EFFECT is resulted. The Negative effect, as an 'event' that has
>> never factually happen, can be encoded as another clause, an element of the
>> same clause, or totally covertly implied.  For example,
>>
>>                              INTS as CAUSE       NEG EFFECT
>>          这   鸡            瘦-得-很,               他  不    买
>>         this chicken    thin-de-very,             he   NEG. buy.
>>
>>         (When buying chickens)         这   鸡            瘦-得-很。
>>                                                        this chicken
>> thin-de-very
>>                                                        'The chicken is
>> thin (therefore he cannot buy it/it fails to be worth...)'
>>
>>       (See a chicken roaming by, no intent to buy)     ** *这   鸡
>>     瘦-得-很
>>
>>               this chicken    thin-de-very
>>

>>  My wonder is whether some correlation exists between the intensification
>> of a property (like an AP magnified by the degree words) and the CAUSTION,
>> esp. negative ones (in Barros 2003, positive cause plus a negative effect
>> is one type of the negative caustion where the relata is termed as
>> 'prevention/interference').  Perhaps English 'too...to...' could be such a
>> construction to connect the state/property and an EVENT.  If yes, how is
> [...]

             ------             professore emerito
            ///////          Scuola Normale Superiore
           -------	       p.za dei Cavalieri 7
          ///////    	         I-56126 PISA
         -------              phone: +39 050 509111
        ///////
       -------                        HOME
      ///////                   via Matteotti  197
     -------                   I-55049 Viareggio LU
    ///////                   phone:  +39 0584 652417
   -------                    cell.:  +39 368 3830251
       editor of "Italian Journal of Linguistics"
  webpage <https://www.sns.it/it/bertinetto-pier-marco>
"Laboratorio di Linguistica" <http://linguistica.sns.it>