[Lingtyp] Intensification and causation

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Sat Oct 16 13:00:34 UTC 2021

Dear all,

I have heard English /too/ being used instead of /very/ in numerous
places around the world in the kind of English jargon that local tourist
touts use when addressing foreigners.

A similar development occurs also in Indonesian with the form /terlalu/
(INVOL:pass).  While in Standard Indonesian this means 'too'
('excessively'), in the colloquial varieties of Indonesian that I am
familiar with, there is no counterpart to /too /('excessively').
However, in some eastern dialects of Malay/Indonesian (I have heard this
in Timor, Sumba and central Sulawesi), /terlalu/ (or a cognate thereof,
usually /talalu/) is used to mean 'very'.

David

On 16/10/2021 13:11, Pier Marco Bertinetto wrote:
> The same change is occurring in Italian.
> 'Troppo' has the same negative overtone as Fr. 'trop', but for young
> people it is also a frequently used intensifiers.
> The transition is easy to analyze: 'troppo bello' =
> 'exceedingly/overwhelmingly beautiful' --> 'very beautiful'.
> Best
> Pier Marco
>

> Il giorno sab 16 ott 2021 alle ore 11:56 Jesse P. Gates
> <stauskad at gmail.com <mailto:stauskad at gmail.com>> ha scritto:
>
>     Dear Jeremy,
>
>     Could you tell us the precise Chinese dialect that this
>     construction occurs in? In many other Chinese dialects
>     'Adj.-de-hen' is simply an intensification construction, so it is
>     interesting how this dialect that you speak of has constrained the
>     meaning so specifically to a cause to negative effect meaning.
>
>     Languages often have a choice between a negative intensifier and a
>     positive one.
>
>     I think in English 'too' often has negative overtones to it, but
>     not always.
>
>     In French, 'trop' is a negative intensifier and 'tres' is a
>     positive one. But I have heard that this is changing a bit and
>     young people on the streets use trop for some positive senses.
>
>     When I first started studying Chinese it took me a while to
>     understand that 太 did not intensify in a negative way,
>     necessarily. For example, if I say in English, 'he's too fast',
>     that usually means something negative (like I can't catch him or
>     beat him in a race), it usually doesn't mean 'he is very fast' in
>     a neutral way or 'he's so fast' in a positive way. But in Mandarin
>     他太快了 can be used for the meaning 'he is very fast', it can be used
>     to get a neutral, or negative, or positive meaning.
>
>     --
>     Best regards,
>
>     *Jesse P. Gates, PhD
>     *Nankai University, School of Literature 南开大学文学院
>     https://nankai.academia.edu/JesseGates
>     <https://nankai.academia.edu/JesseGates>
>

>     On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 2:55 PM tangzhengda <tangzhengda at 126.com
>     <mailto:tangzhengda at 126.com>> wrote:
>
>         Dear colleagues,
>
>         In a certain NW Chinese dialect the adjective phrase of
>         '*Adj.-/de/-hen*' (roughly taken to mean '*very Adj*.') can
>         only be used /on condition that/ it take the role of a CAUSE,
>         or a 'causing state', by which a NEGATIVE EFFECT is resulted.
>         The Negative effect, as an 'event' that has never factually
>         happen, can be encoded as another clause, an element of the
>         same clause, or totally covertly implied.  For example,
>
>          INTS as CAUSE       NEG EFFECT
>                  这   鸡 瘦-得-很,               他  不    买
>                 this chicken thin-de-very,             he   NEG. buy.
>
>                 (When buying chickens)         这   鸡
>         瘦-得-很。
>                                    this chicken thin-de-very
>                                    'The chicken is thin (therefore he
>         cannot buy it/it fails to be worth...)'
>
>               (See a chicken roaming by, no intent to buy) ** *这   鸡
>               瘦-得-很
> [...]

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Deutscher Platz 6, Leipzig, 04103, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091