[Lingtyp] SIGTYP 2022 Shared Task on the Prediction of Cognate Reflexes

Johann-Mattis List mattis.list at lingpy.org
Mon Feb 21 10:23:57 UTC 2022

Dear all,

In 2022, SIGTYP is hosting a shared task on predicting words and
morphemes from cognate words in related languages (Cognate Reflex
Prediction Task). We provide 20 cognate-coded multilingual wordlists (10
for development, and 10 withheld for testing) from which we have
withheld varying amounts of cognate sets from which the systems provided
by participants should later predict individual words and morphemes. The
code we provide allows to transparently access the data from its
standardized format, compute sample predictions with a baseline method,
and to evaluate results with three evaluation metrics.

For more information on cognate reflex prediction, we recommend the
following study (available in open access):

Bodt, T. and J.-M. List (2022): Reflex prediction. A case study of
Western Kho-Bwa. Diachronica 39.1. 1-38.
https://doi.org/10.1075/dia.20009.bod

For more information, please check the GitHub repository, which contains
the data, code to process the data, and additional information.

* https://github.com/sigtyp/ST2022

Important dates are:

* Feb 21, 2022: Training data and baseline are released at
https://github.com/sigtyp/ST2022/tree/v0.2
* Apr 11, 2022: Test data released at
https://github.com/sigtyp/ST2022/tree/v1.0
* Apr 25, 2022: System submissions are due
* May 13, 2022: System description papers are due
* May 20, 2022: Camera-ready papers due

To register for the task:

*
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdKvUOOUQSUpbOCWGR6a3zXUTEhhDqTRIXwhlgPwGPrpNpPcQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

We hope for many interesting contributions!

Sincerely,

Mattis List (on behalf of all co-organizers)

--
PD Dr. Johann-Mattis List
Research Group Leader "Computer-Assisted Language Comparison"