[Lingtyp] query: instrument voice

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Tue Feb 22 00:40:05 UTC 2022

Dear all,

In the Austronesian languages of Taiwan, Philippines and Madagascar,
there is a verbal affix that is said to mark "instrument voice"; loosely
speaking, it marks the topic or subject of the clause as bearing the
semantic role of instrument.

Is anybody familiar with similar instrument-voice constructions from
other parts of the world?

The reason I ask is that a similar construction is present also in some
languages of the Bird's Head and Cenderawasih Bay regions of New Guinea,
eg. Biak, Roon, Wamesa and Wooi (Austronesian), and Hatam, Sougb, Meyah
and Moskona (non-Austronesian).What's curious about this construction is
that, unlike the well-known Austronesian cases, it is the only
morphologically-marked voice in each of the languages in question; there
is no "ordinary" morphological passive construction.My feeling is that
this construction is quite uncommon cross-linguistically, but I would
like to get a feel for the extent to which this is indeed true.

Thanks,

David

--
David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Deutscher Platz 6, Leipzig, 04103, Germany

Email:gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091