[Lingtyp] Negation marks adverbial clauses

Sergey Say serjozhka at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 10:35:51 UTC 2022

 Dear Mohammad,
apart from Bernhard Wälchli's paper mentioned earlier in this thread, there are also quite a few studies on (what is often referred to as) expletive negation in 'until'/'before' clauses in the languages of Europe, often couched in terms of some formal theory. I am mostly familiar with papers focused on Russian that are also written in Russian (would you be interested in those?), but here are some references in English:
Abels K. 2002.Expletive (?) negation. Proceedings of FASL, Vol. 10. 1–20.

IordanskajaL., Mel’čuk I. 2009. Semantics of the Russian сonjunction POKA‘while, before, until’. Von grammatischenKategorien und sprachlichen Weltbildern — Die Slavia von der Sprachgeschichtebis zur Politsprache. Festschrift für Daniel Weiss zum 60. Geburtstag. Wien:Otto Sagner. 233–262.

Krifka M. 2010.How to Interpret “Expletive” Negationunder bevor in German. Language and Logos: Studies in theoreticaland computational linguistics. Berlin: Akademie Verlag, 2010. 214–236.
Best,
Sergey