[Lingtyp] Two 1SG pronouns (in reported speech and beyond)

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 01:47:30 UTC 2022

Denys,

What you describe regarding reported speech sounds familiar to something I
came across for Ainu. (That's not a language I specialize in, but one
included in my typological sample for a comparative project. See reference
grammars, or I'm sure others can help you with the details.) Here's an
example that was relevant to my research:

Arpa-an wa inkar-an rusuy kusu. (Bugaeva 2018:264)
go.SG-IND.S and see.SG-IND.S DESID because
'I wanted to try to go (to my parents-in-law's place).'

The "indefinite subject marker" (-an) is used for first-person subjects in
quotations (Bugaeva 2004:40-41), although its range of usage is wider than
that. It seems to be roughly a non-specific person category, i.e.
unmarked/default.

Bugaeva, Anna. 2004. Grammar and folklore texts of the chitose dialect of
Ainu (idiolect of Ito Oda). Kyoto: Nakanishi.

See also for example:
http://cblle.tufs.ac.jp/assets/files/publications/working_papers_02/section/055-072.pdf

Example source (but not otherwise about this topic):
Bugaeva, Anna. 2018. Ainu complex predicates with reference to Japanese. In
Prashant Pardeshi & Taro Kageyama (eds.), Handbook of Japanese Contrastive
Linguistics, 247–272. Berlin: De Gruyter Mouton.
https://doi.org/10.1515/9781614514077-009

More generally beyond that, there are various ways of marking embedded
persons differently in the case of switch-reference marking and
logophoricity (and obviation is somewhat similar, but at a discourse level
rather than about syntactic embedding per se). For an overview of
especially switch-reference, see Chapter 3 of my dissertation here:
https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.5546425

I hope that's somewhat helpful!

Daniel Ross
ALT webmaster