[Lingtyp] languages lacking a verb for 'give'

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Thu Jan 27 17:22:28 UTC 2022

Matthew, Daniel, Russell and all,

I'm with Daniel on this one; in my 2017 paper I discuss precisely this
issue, namely, how do we define the meanings of the relevant forms, and
whether one of them has a meaning that can appropriately be
characterized as "give".

Abstracting away from word order, and assuming minimal morphology, what
we have is a situation of the abstract form

A X P Y R

where A = Agent, P = Patient, R = Recipient, a translation into our
contact language along the lines of A gave P to R, and an analytical
question:  What are the meanings of X and Y (and should one of them be
assigned the meaning "give")? Typically, both X and Y are poly- or
macro-functional, and either of the two can occur without the other,
resulting in constructions whose translational equivalents into our
contact language do not involve "give". X and Y don't wear their glosses
on their sleeves, as it were; the answer to our analytical question will
depend on an in-depth language-specific analysis of the various
functions of each of the two elements, X and Y.

In Roon (SHWNG, Austronesian), there are two "give" constructions.  For
the one illustrated in (3) of my 2017 paper, I argue that the basic
meaning of X (/ve/) is "do", while that of Y (/fa/) is an oblique
marker.  For the one illustrated in (10), X = Y (both have the form
/ve/) and here too I argue that both mean "do".  Under an alternative
more splitting analysis, the second element might be characterized as a
"different" /ve/ associated with an allative function; however, the
first /ve/ would still be vague between a variety of different
functions, and, as I argue there, is most appropriately analyzed as
meaning "do".

The second part of the 2017 paper looks at a number of other languages
of the region; while the patterns of poly-/macro-functionality differ
from one language to another, in many of the cases, neither of the two
elements, X and Y, would seem to warrant the assignation of a meaning
"give".

David

(3)/MusaivyepipifaRiksoni/

Musa:pers<3sg.anim>*ve*moneyoblRikson:pers

'Musa gave money to Rikson.'

(10)/MusaivyepipiveRiksoni/

Musa:pers<3sg.anim>vemoney*ve*Rikson:pers

'Musa gave money to Rikson.'

On 27/01/2022 18:16, Russell Barlow wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> I'm not sure I follow. Presumably we'd be relying on the translations
> of the *arguments*, not of the verbs, when figuring out the semantic
> roles of each verbal object. So, in examples of the sort that you,
> Eline, and I (maybe others) have provided, we see something like:
>
> "boy take apple, give girl"
>
> ... to mean something like "the boy gives the girl an apple". I share
> your unease about considering the second verb in such cases to be
> "give" in the English sense. But I don't think there's any issue in
> figuring out which NP is semantically the theme and which NP is
> semantically the recipient. We could ignore the glosses of the verbs,
> and the semantic roles of the participants would still be clear:
>
> verb1 apple, verb2 girl
>
> Provided we know that "apple" and "girl" are both the objects of the
> verbs they follow, then we could say that the object of verb1 is a
> Theme, and the object of verb2 is a Recipient. I think what Matthew
> and I are both interested in finding is something like:
>
> boy verb1 apple, girl verb2 apple
>
> ... something like "the boy proffered the apple; the girl took the
> apple".
>
> Best,
> Russell
>
> Russell Barlow
> Postdoctoral Researcher
> Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology
> Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
> russell_barlow at eva.mpg.de
>
>> On 01/27/2022 4:41 PM Daniel Ross <djross3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Matthew,
>>
>> Relying on translation equivalents in this case is not clear. If the
>> verb "give" exclusively appears in SVCs (as is claimed for some
>> languages), then it's only half of the lexical meaning of English
>> /give/. We could translate it as something else, e.g. some active
>> equivalent of 'receive' (several verbs like 'supply (the army)' or
>> 'load (the truck)' can be used in this way, although they're flexible
>> including ditransitive usage like 'give' at least with prepositional
>> arguments).
>>
>> Russell, I have the same uncertainty about your question: how do we
>> know what a "Theme" argument is, without relying on translation? In
>> many languages with SVCs of this type, there is no case marking (in
>> fact, SVCs are said by some to function as case markers), so I don't
>> know what other evidence there would be aside from the translation of
>> the verb itself, which only in the construction as a whole means 'give'.
>>
>> I assume that the etymology of the verbs in these constructions is
>> not 'give': that is, it's not the case that an original, full lexical
>> verb 'give' taking three arguments was reduced to taking two
>> arguments and expanded into this construction, but that some other
>> verb grammaticalized into that function. There's been a lot written
>> about these kinds of usage, but I'm not sure about the best sources
> [...]

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Deutscher Platz 6, Leipzig, 04103, Germany

Email:gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091