[Lingtyp] Phonological differences of alienable vs. inalienable possession

Mark Van de Velde mark.vandevelde at cnrs.fr
Mon Jan 31 09:56:23 UTC 2022

Dear all,

The same phenomenon can be found with kinship terms in the Bantu
languages, where there is a cline going from full suppletion (typically
for 'father' and 'mother' with a singular possessor) at one extreme, to
the use of an independent agreeing possessive pronoun at the other. In
between, we find the use of a personal ("substitutive") pronoun instead
of a possessive pronoun ("they mother"), and possessive pronouns that
lack an agreement marker and/or are more strongly morphologically and
phonologically bound to the possessee, which can be reflected in their
position in the noun phrase.

You may find a brief overview and some examples in Section 5 of the
attached paper, to appear in the Oxford Guide to the Bantu Languages.

All best wishes,

Mark