[Lingtyp] idioms/listemes in grammars

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Thu Mar 3 11:59:08 UTC 2022

I have been writing a grammar for a couple of years which takes the
twofold approach: The structure-based part is subdivided according to
constructions by purely structural criteria and tells you what they
mean. The function-based part is subdivided according to functional
domains and cognitive/communicative operations and tells you how to
execute them in this language. There is, of course, extensive
cross-referencing between the parts. So much for the background.

The structure-based part has a chapter on phraseology. The idioms or
listemes or stock phrases are classified by structural criteria: Some
are phrasal compounds or noun phrases, others are incorporative verbs
etc. An alternative would be to append a list of phrasemes to each of
those structural subchapters which comprise any phrasemes.

The function-based part mentions such a phraseme whenever a certain
function is fulfilled by it.

Am 03.03.2022 um 12:33 schrieb Adam James Ross Tallman:
> Hello all,
>
> As I am writing an expanded version of my dissertation for publication
> I wanted to include a section (perhaps a chapter) on "idioms" or
> "listemes", across different levels (words, phrases etc.). For grammar
> writers, I wonder if others have written such sections that you could
> point me to for inspiration or guidance - I'm not sure how I should
> structure the discussion.
>
> best,
>
> Adam
>
> --