[Lingtyp] An ideophone for cough?

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 17:13:35 UTC 2022

>From the Wiki article on the language (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language):

Jeju has widespread sound symbolism
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_symbolism> in ideophones
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideophones>.[289]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-FOOTNOTEKang_S.20082-309>
The
use of sound symbolism to form emphatic variants of words is more common in
Jeju than in Seoul Korean.[290]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-FOOTNOTEKang_S.20084-310>

Jeju sound symbolism operates with both consonants and vowels. The
intensity of a Jeju word may be strengthened by using tense and especially
aspirate obstruents.[291]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-FOOTNOTEKo_J.2011a251%E2%80%93252-311>
[292]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-FOOTNOTEKang_S.200810%E2%80%9312-312>
The
sound symbolism may also be emphasized through the addition of consonants,
[293]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-FOOTNOTEKang_S.20085%E2%80%936-313>
by
adding the sequence -락 *-rak* to both reduplicated segments, and with
fortition <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortition> or lenition
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenition>.[294]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-FOOTNOTEKang_S.20085,_7,_9-314>
 The *yang* harmonic class of vowels has a bright, small connotation, and
the *yin* vowel class gives a dark, large connotation.[295]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-FOOTNOTEKo_J.2011a250-315>
Ko
Jae-hwan also gives examples of three or four layers of vowel sound
symbolism.[296]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-FOOTNOTEKo_J.2011255%E2%80%93258-316>

   - Consonant sound symbolism:
      - 고시롱 *gosirong* "savory" → 꼬시롱 *kkosirong* "[very] savory" → 코시롱
      *kosirong* "[extremely] savory"[297]
      <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-FOOTNOTEKo_J.2011a252-317>
      - 을강을강 *eulgang-eulgang* "[small] sound of rat gnawing teeth" → 글강글강
      *geulgang-geulgang* "[large] sound of rat gnawing teeth"[298]
      <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-FOOTNOTEDictionary2009110-318>
      - ᄇᆞᆯ착ᄇᆞᆯ착 *bawlchak-bawlchak* "easily angered" → ᄇᆞᆯ치락ᄇᆞᆯ치락
      *bawlchirak-bawlchirak* "[very] easily angered}[299]
      <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-FOOTNOTEDictionary2009478-319>
      - 크뜽크뜽 *keutteung-keutteung* "neatly aligned" → 코찡코찡
*kojjing-kojjing* "[very]
      neatly aligned"[u]
      <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-322>
   - Vowel sound symbolism:
      - 동골동골 *donggol-donggol* "round [of a small object]" → 둥굴둥굴
      *dunggul-dunggul* "round [of a large object]"[295]
      <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-FOOTNOTEKo_J.2011a250-315>
      - ᄋᆞᆼ당ᄋᆞᆼ당 *awngdang-awngdang* "[small and light] sound of muttered
      complaints" → 옹당옹당 *ongdang-ongdang* "[large and heavy] sound of
      muttered complaints" → 웅당웅당 *ungdang-ungdang* "[very large and very
      heavy] sound of muttered complaints"[302]
      <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-FOOTNOTEKo_J.2011a255-323>
      - ᄆᆞᆫ들ᄆᆞᆫ들 *mawndeul-mawndeul* "smooth to the touch [of a very small
      or dry object]" → 맨들맨들 *maendeul-maendeul* "smooth to the touch [of a
      somewhat small or dry object]" → 문들문들 *mundeul-mundeul* "slippery to
      the touch [of a somewhat large or wet object]" → 민들민들
      *mindeul-mindeul* "slippery to the touch [of a very large or wet
      object]"[303]
      <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-FOOTNOTEKo_J.2011a258-324>

Multiple sound-symbolic strategies may combine in a single word. Kang S.
2008 gives eight sound symbolic variants of the ideophone ᄆᆞᆯ탁ᄆᆞᆯ탁
*mawltak-mawltak* "the shape of many objects being blunt," each more
intense than the other:[289]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_language#cite_note-FOOTNOTEKang_S.20082-309>

ᄆᆞᆯ탁ᄆᆞᆯ탁 *mawltak-mawltak* → ᄆᆞᆯ트락ᄆᆞᆯ트락 *mawlteurak-mawlteurak* → ᄆᆞᆯ착ᄆᆞᆯ착
*mawlchak-mawlchak* → ᄆᆞᆯ치락ᄆᆞᆯ치락 *mawlchirak-mawlchirak* → 뫁탁몰탁
*moltak-moltak* → 몰착몰착 *molchak-molchak* → 몰트락몰트락 *molteurak-molteurak* →
몰치락몰치락 *molchirak-molchirak*

*Jess Tauber*

Virus-free.
www.avg.com