[Lingtyp] Conscious choice of linguistic examples

Maia Ponsonnet maia.ponsonnet at uwa.edu.au
Tue Mar 22 08:18:12 UTC 2022

Hello,

But this precisely assumes that "John" and "Mary" are unmarked first names.
Which I do not believe to be accurate anymore in the context of a student population in Australia for instance (speaking of what I know).
Presuming unmarkedness implicitly postulates a certain category of population as a norm (including color, age, probably social class...).

And it seems even more problematic to consider that "John hits Mary" is unmarked 😉.

In my opinion, it is worth risking to distract readers/students ever so slightly to avoid perpetuating stereotypes.
Plus distraction can be a good thing!

I have found that when presenting tedious grammatical phenomena about a minority language, semantically rich examples can be used as our "window" onto speakers' personalities, lives, cultures, inclinations etc. It is also a way to make speakers visible as individuals, and show respect, as pointed out by Felicity.

In teaching contexts, such rich examples often trigger background questions that allow to give flesh to somewhat disincarnated theories. This sort of distraction is a good pedagogical tool to maintain interest and attention. As a reader, I find this applies to the scientific literature as well.

Cheers and kind regards, Maïa

Dr Maïa Ponsonnet
Adjunct Researcher, Discipline of Linguistics

Building M257

The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Hwy, Perth, WA (6009), Australia