[Lingtyp] base valency classes of verb roots

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 13:44:19 UTC 2023

Wow, Thanks very much, Christian! What goes around comes around!

For the record, in the 2004 article (sorry I forgot to give the reference last time), p. 1481, Himmelmann says
" … Note, however, that Tagalog voice affixes are not nominalising in a morphosyntactic sense, since they do not change the syntactic category of the base . . .”

It is tricky to talk about nominal vs. verbal in Tagalog. It is true, though, that the unmarked clause is an equative clause, with the two parts of the equation having the same reference, but whether you use the affixes or not, it is the same. That is, the bare root (action or object) is “nominal” in this sense, and so adding the orientation affixes adds an orientation, but does not change the syntactic category.

Himmelmann, Nikolaus P. 2004. Tagalog (Austronesian). In Geert Booij, Christian Lehmann, Joachim Mugdan & Stavros Skopeteas (eds.), Morphology. An International Handbook on Inflection and Word Formation, 1473-1490. Berlin: de Gruyter.

All the best,
Randy
——
Professor Randy J. LaPolla(罗仁地), PhD FAHA
Center for Language Sciences
Institute for Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences
Beijing Normal University at Zhuhai
A302, Muduo Building, #18 Jinfeng Road, Zhuhai City, Guangdong, China

https://randylapolla.info <https://randylapolla.info/>
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6100-6196

邮编:519087
广东省珠海市唐家湾镇金凤路18号木铎楼A302