[Lingtyp] A universal related to the traditional square of opposition

Omri Mayraz Omri.Amiraz at mail.huji.ac.il
Tue Jul 11 08:22:15 UTC 2023

Dear Colleagues,

I am working on a project related to the traditional square of opposition
(see entry <https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/square/#ModRevSqu> in the
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy), in which I propose a cross-linguistic
generalization which I believe to be an absolute language universal. I was
wondering whether anyone is aware of potential counterexamples.

The traditional square of opposition represents the logical relations
between four logical forms: