[Lingtyp] A generalization about morphological and syntactic causatives

Michael Daniel misha.daniel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 19:30:28 UTC 2023

Hi Juergen,

I guess this depends very much on how strict you are on defining
periphrastic causatives, to distinguish them from more lexical
constructions with coercive semantics.

Dargwa languages (East Caucasian) tend to have a fully productive
morphological causative that also applies to (di)transitive verbs. Barylnikova
2019 <https://langsci-press.org/catalog/view/225/1607/1659-1> describes a
series of periphrastic constructions that she (as I would also, at least
loosely) qualifies as periphrastic causatives in Mehweb Dargwa. Frankly, I
did not know it was so rare; it did not seem unexpected to me at the time
we edited the book; and I thought, back then, that you would be able to
find similar examples in other East Caucasian languages.

Michael

PS I found it unobvious that you equated causatives from transitive verbs
to indirect causation, but apparently this depends on the definition of
indirect causation and does not directly relate to your question.