[Lingtyp] languages without feet?

Adam James Ross Tallman ajrtallman at utexas.edu
Mon May 8 05:15:55 UTC 2023

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments

Mark: this is an interesting comment, as it is typically used to argue in
favor of the universality of structures cross-linguistically.

" I’m not sure whether or not there are languages for which that would not
be true – i.e. in which assuming a foot level not only adds nothing, but
leads to a less insightful or unworkable analysis. To me, that’s a more
interesting question than whether or not we *have* to identify a foot
distinct from syllable and word for any given language to sustain a
particular prosodic analysis (lack of positive evidence not generally being
taken as negative evidence in theorizing about UG)."

Perhaps I'm missing some crucial assumption, but I don't understand this
formulation. Should it not be up to those *pushing *theoretical claims that
the conditions for the falsifiability of their theories be clear? If
someone is making a claim that some structure is universal, should it
really be an *open question *how they could ever conceivably be wrong?

Nespor & Vogel (2007:11) make a similar argument regarding layers of the
prosodic hierarchy. They argue that if one does not find evidence for a
given layer of the prosodic hierarchy one is not necessarily warranted in
assuming that the layer is not present. So one of the reasons that the
prosodic hierarchy hypothesis seems like it has wide empirical coverage is
because it is basically let off the hook for accounting for cases where
there seems to be no evidence for its domains. And the reverse is true as
well it turns out (too many domains? just posit some are not related to the
theory). I've heard the same argument used to justify the vP shell, the
argument for binary branching in all languages, and, of course, for the
universal foot as well. It's been insisted that if I don't want to adopt
the foot I should provide evidence *against *its presence (... against the
presence of something invisible).

When are we justified in saying that positing a particular formal structure
is "unworkable", especially when such structures are indeterminately
abstract, especially if we are willing to admit that the structure need not
have any empirical content? Are we not constructing a hypothesis that is
fundamentally unfalsifiable? Or is the claim here that falsifiability is
not a good criterion for scientific status?

And in linguistic descriptions, in the long run, doesn't presuming evidence
for a structure when none can be found present a misleading picture of
typological variation?

best,

Adam