[Lingtyp] demotion

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Thu Oct 12 14:01:47 UTC 2023

I thank everybody who bothered to deal with my question. I learn from
the discussion that, by and large, the model of demotion is the
antipassive construction. Also, while non-saturating incorporation is
clearly a form of verb-compounding - a non-compositional process that
has little to do with syntax -, saturating incorporation may be
compositional and thus stand better chances to be describable by rules
of grammar.

Both in the antipassive construction and in saturating incorporation,
the direct object/absolutive actant position of the verb is blocked. The
crucial difference is, however, that in the former case, some formative
blocks the position so the undergoer cannot occupy it, while in the
latter case, the undergoer itself blocks the slot, just as in the
syntactically transitive construction. As I said before, one may ignore
this difference, just concentrate on the fact that in both cases, the
undergoer argument loses its syntactic position, and therefore subsume
both under demotion.
--

Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Rudolfstr. 4