[Lingtyp] Summary numeral in the world languages

Alex Francois alex.francois.cnrs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 13:42:28 UTC 2023

Dear Joe,

Mwotlap (Oceanic, Vanuatu) has several inclusory constructions that meet
these criteria:

   - COORDINATIVE construction
   *Wilson **kōyō* Mika <W. 3dual M.>
   “Wilson and Mika”
   → equivalent of coordinator, with humans
   e.g. *imam kōyō tita* "Dad and Mum", etc.

   - EXPLICATIVE construction
   *Kōyō** Mika* <3dual M.>
   "he and Mika"
   → {semi-anaphora}: the first member of the couple is strictly anaphoric
   (must have been already mentioned in recent context, and activated), and
   the new information is about the second member of the group (namely
   *Mika*).

   - RECOGNITIONAL construction
   *Wilson **kōyō* <W. 3dual> “Wilson and Z [his wife / his son / his
   colleague…]”
   → {recognitional use}, no anaphora:
   the whole group [Wilson+Z] is new information in the context,
   but the identity of Z must be retrieved by contextual information, or
   inference.

______
The coordinative construction always involve the 3rd dual pronoun *kōyō*.

The recognitional construction is always 3rd person,
but it may involve other numbers than just the dual:

   - TRIAL:
   *Wilson kēytēl *<W. 3trial>
   “Wilson and his two fellows / his two children”  (cardinality =3 people).
   - PLURAL:
   *Wilson kēy *<W. 3plural>
   “Wilson and his group / family”  (cardinality >3 people).

The explicative construction can involve other persons than just a 3rd
person,
and other numbers than just a dual:

   - e.g. 2nd dual:
   *Kōmyō yē? *<2dual who>
   “you and who?” ~ “Who were you with?”.
   - 1incl. trial:
   *Ēntēl Mika *<1inc:trial M.>
   “you + I + Mika”,   as in “Let's go with Mika.”

_________
In my Mwotlap grammar (2001 dissertation
<http://alex.francois.online.fr/AFpub_books_e.htm#01>), I initially
described these constructions as types of "associative non-singular"
[*Non-singulier
associatif* in F2001: 384 ff
<https://marama.huma-num.fr/data/AlexFrancois_These_DescriptionMwotlap.pdf#page=385>].
They all involve an NP followed by a 3rd person pronoun of a non-singular
number (Dual, Trial or Plural), where the pronoun encodes the cardinality
of the whole group, and the NP always is a subset of the group.

I understand that Tahitian shares with Mwotlap several (all?) of these
constructions, as well as many other Oceanic languages.  Frank
Lichtenberk's 2000 paper on “Inclusory pronominals” is a key reference (I
used the term *inclusory* in a 2005 paper
<https://marama.huma-num.fr/data/AlexFrancois_LingTyp-Mwotlap_2005.pdf#page=6>),
even though Frank's constructions were a bit different from Mwotlap.
_________
In all cases, the associative phrase forms an argument constituent.
When it's the subject, it triggers agreement with a non-singular verb:

(1)   *Tita    *so    ni-kuk.
        Mum     IRR    *3sg*-cook
       “Mum will do the cooking.”
(1')   *Tita    kēytēl * so    kuk.
        Mum      *3trial   *     IRR    (*NSG*:)cook
       “*Mum and her two (friends/children+)* will do the cooking.”
________
Finally, another subtype of the explicative construction involves
possessive suffixes (cf. pp.477-481
<https://marama.huma-num.fr/data/AlexFrancois_These_DescriptionMwotlap.pdf#page=477>
of
the grammar):

(2)   Na-ha-*mōyō*  yē ? –  Na-ha-*mamyō*  wōlōmgep vitwag.
        Art-song-*2dual*   who —     Art-song-*1ex:dual*   boy
 Indef
       “Who is that song about? — It's a song about me and another boy.”
       [liter.  “it is *our*-song a boy”]

best
Alex

Alex François