[Lingtyp] Summary numeral in the world languages

Michael Daniel misha.daniel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 13:19:14 UTC 2023

Dear Pun Ho Lui, dear colleagues.

I wanted to come back to what David wrote in one of the first answers.

In this thread, there were mentions of constructions that are usually
considered separately - *summarizing* constructions (as the example
from Mongsen
Ao, probably also Japhug and Adamawa) and *inclusory* constructions (as the
explicative Mwotlap construction), to which Alexandre François added what
looks to me as an unmistakably *associative plural* construction (his
recognitional construction in Mwotlap). I have no knowledge about
summarizing constructions, but both inclusory constructions and associative
plurals are of course very common cross-linguistically. To the reference to
Linchtenber on inclusory constructions in Austronesian, I would add at
least Ruth Singer's 2001 survey of them in Australia or discussions of
*dedicated
*inclusory pronouns in Mande languages - but of course many other languages
also have these.

***

Now, on the one hand, we see, e.g. from Alexandre's examples, that the
three types of constructions can be morphosyntactically similar, at least
to some extent. Language-internally, the boundaries between them may be
fuzzy, and certainly not all typologists would agree to draw them in the
same way (if they would want to draw them, in the first place). So -
probably unlike David? - I think that it may make sense to survey them
together, as has in fact been going on in this thread, to my view. On the
other hand, they may also be completely unrelated, or only some of them may
be present in an individual language.

In other words - now very much following David (I think) - I believe that,
while being prepared to see the three constructions to be formally related
in some or many languages, or even considering them as one empirical domain
of investigation, one would want to remain very sensitive to the potential
differences between these constructions, based on signature properties
proposed in earlier of each of these constructions separately.

To give just one example, as David pointed out, a very special property of
inclusory construction, something that is often considered to be
definitional for them, is that there is an unexpected referential property
of "strict inclusion" - the reference of the inclusory element includes,
*and* is wider, than the reference of the "added" phrase ("we with you.sg"
meaning 'you.sg and I'). Another special property, not mentioned by David
(probably because it is too obvious), is that in the vast majority of
cases, the inclusory element is either a plural pronoun or plural index on
the verb. Associative plurals have their own signature properties (some of
which are briefly referred to in Alexandre François' detailed reply), and
probably summarizing constructions also have some of their own, which I am
unaware of because of my limited knowledge of them. Fuzzy as the boundaries
may be in individual languages, to me, these properties are not just part
of arbitrary "etic" categories but reflect a certain internal logic of the
functional domain in question. If one does not try to keep an eye on these
properties, one runs a risk of confusion.

As an example of what seems to me to be a confusion, your own initial
examples would not, to me, constitute exemplary cases of summarizing
constructions - none of them contains a lexical numeral; moreover,
arguably, they all can be interpreted as extension of inclusory
constructions. I am aware of the fact that they contradict one or both of
the properties that I considered signature for inclusory pronouns; but I
think many would agree they are not prototypical summarizing constructions,
either. As a result, some people, based on your examples, provided examples
of inclusory constructions; while David, based on your definition,
discarded contributions as not directly related to your query.

(Personally, I think this is a result of your equating number marking with
numerals, and I do not know whether the studies you refer to for
"summarizing" numerals explicitly license this. Again, I do agree that it
might be a meaningful enterprise to consider all ways of expressing
cardinal numerosity ('two' and dual, 'three' and trial) in your study, but
one should be prepared to face a very heterogeneous range of
morphosyntactic constructions.)

Michael