[Lingtyp] Encoding "right before" across languages

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 07:58:11 UTC 2024

Dear Pun Ho Lui,

In my Japhug grammar (https://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/295), the
meaning "right before" is treated in the section on what I call "immediate
precedence" ("be about to") §25.3.2.2 p.1399-1400. It seems to me that your
example *Right before I sleep, I brush my teeth*. could be reformulated as *As
I was about to go to sleep, I brushed my teeth*. without changing the truth
conditions of this sentence (if I am mistaken here, please don't hesitate
to comment). In my translations, I sometimes use "just before..." to convey
this meaning. It can be expressed by four main constructions: an adverb
(tɤkʰa), the morphological proximate jɯ- (44), the periphrastic proximate
and a construction with the verb mda "be the time (144).

(44)  [ɕɤr jɯ-jɤ-azɣɯt] tɕe (...) ɯ-kɤrme nɯ pjɤ-ɕɯ-ɴqoʁ \\
night \{prox}-\{aor}-arrive \{lnk} { } \{3sg}.\{poss}-hair \{dem}
\{ifr}-\{caus}-hang
‘Just before the night fell, [the witch] hung her hair [on the window of
the tower].’
p.1400

(144)  tɕe ɯʑo si tɤ-mda kóʁmɯz nɤ nɯ [mɯ-pjɤ-pe] nɯ ko-tso ri ɲɤ-maqʰu
ɲɯ-ŋu.
\{lnk} \{3sg} die:\{fact} \{aor}-be.the.time only.then \{add} \{dem}
\{neg}-\{ifr}.\{ipfv}-be.good \{dem} \{ifr}-understand \{lnk}
\{ifr}-be.late \{sens}-be
‘Just before dying, he understood that [what he had done] was not good,
but it was too late.’
 p.1305

I hope this is what you are looking for, best wishes,

Guillaume

Guillaume Jacques

Directeur de recherches
CNRS (CRLAO) - EPHE- INALCO